Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"I just need to find a wife."

Today, I was sitting at a computer in the library. Luckily, I took out my ear buds just in time to hear this.

"I just need to find a wife!"

This was the final conclusion of a conversation between two assumingly single friends, both male. I would pay money to know what their conversation was that led to this. But I don't. I am left to assume.

He walked by, said this statement in utter desperation, and continued to the west wing of the library. The people sitting around me heard his exclamation, and we exchanged amused glances, and laughed quietly to ourselves.

I've thought about this encounter all day. My initial reaction was to roll my eyes and think, oh come on. Classic BYU I-do. But then I thought again. That's what it's really all about isn't it? That's secretly what we are all looking for.

To find the one that makes us feel beautiful. The one that makes us feel important. The one that makes us feel needed. The one that makes us feel alive. The one that inspires us to be better. The one that makes us laugh. The one that laughs with us and at us. The one that is patient with our weaknesses. The one that helps us grow.

We know that it won't always be perfect. In fact, we anticipate the imperfection of it all. Yet we long for an imperfect future with an imperfect person. Why? Because we all believe in a little thing called love. Is it a game? Sometimes. Is it frustrating? Yes. Maddening? Yes. Intimidating? Yes. Is it phenomenally worth it? I'll let you know.

But that's what it comes down to. That's why we put ourselves through the proverbial hell. That's why we lay awake until 3 in the morning hoping, fearing, thinking. That's why we risk it all. To love, and to love in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment