Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dating on a Social Network

We live in a technologically advanced world. This blog is proof of that. Proof that anyone, anywhere, can be an expert on anything. Do we use this technology for good, or for evil. I would say, a little of both. Now, if a man and woman find mutual interest, they Facebook stalk one another to get better acquainted. IM chats on skype and Facebook can help speed the process along. A simple Google search for online dating sites taking .22 seconds resulted in over 61 million hits. My parents are divorced and have since remarried. They both met their current spouse on a dating website. I have several friends who met their husbands on Facebook. It's changing the face of how we date, how we flirt, and how we fall in love.

I don't know how I feel about that. Gone are the days when a man will show up on your doorstep with a bouquet of flowers. Now, you get a personalized invite to be his contact on skype. No longer do men court women, they flirt on their walls. The first contact I had with the man I am dating was his Facebook profile picture. I have been asked out via Facebook and texting. I have been messaged, skyped, Googled, IM'd, and friend requested all with the intent of starting a relationship.

Yet, the best moments of a relationships are the real ones. The ones where we are sitting in the same room, on the same couch. The moments where we talk face to face, without a computer screen in front of us.

There are some positive things to be gained from dating and technology. But for the most part, we need to take a step back and talk to each other in the real world; not the cyber world.

1 comment: